All of us can probably attest to a point in our lives when we’ve been hit and paralyzed by fear. The feeling is not only frightening but it’s uncomfortable because we feel completely out of our element. So if you’re like me, usually we’re driven and persistent and feel that we have everything under control, but something keeps us from giving our go-getter selves the 100% it deserves.
That something is (clearly) “fear” and honestly, we give it way too much precedence in our lives! We allow fear to overcome us so much that we waste VALUABLE time and miss out on LIFE CHANGING opportunities. At the end of it all, regret sets in and we wonder what could have been if we got out of Fear’s grasp sooner.
Lessons.. We often learn them the unpleasant way. However, there is still hope for the future. Or maybe you’re reading this blog post just in time and can tell fear to go take a seat in a whole other dimension because YOU GOT THIS!
Know that the feeling of Fear isn’t as scary as what we’ll feel afterwards if we let Fear overcome us. So, the next time you feel Fear trying to confine you and twist your body into an uncomfortable human pretzel, just follow these tips to always ensure your Go-Getterness remains in control!
5 Tips To Dismiss Fear
- Plug into a Devotion and Daily Prayer. You absolutely cannot go wrong by diving into a good devotion and increasing your prayer life. Search for the devotions about fear in general or find those more specific to your needs. When you pray, don’t be afraid to pour your heart out to the Lord. Open up to Him and tell Him your fears. Once we become faithful to learning and taking heed to His word and taking time to talk to Him on a regular, we will be able to hear Him speak to our hearts, helping us relinquish our fears.
- Imagine life if Fear wins. The thought of fear ruling over my life scares me so much. I can’t help but imagine ALL of the opportunities and goals I would miss out on or never have just because I was afraid of the unknown and even worse, failure. I imagine being older, like in my 40s or 50s, recounting my younger life, and I see myself having regrets about things I never tried due to fear. Thinking about living with complete regret and utter disappointment in myself, causes my present self to cringe. If you don’t write that novel or attempt to get it published, how would you feel 15 years down the road? If you don’t start that business you always dreamed of or go back to school, how would you feel later in life? My guess is you wouldn’t feel very good or very accomplished. So, why let fear stop you and allow you to feel miserable later?
- Read inspirational books. I LOVE me a good book on personal development. It’s always so refreshing to gather different views on the matters of life, especially those that get you amped up and ready to tackle anything life throws at you! So, go to your local bookstore and find the appropriate section and browse until your heart is content. You could also research and buy books online, of course. Or, ask family or friends for suggestions!
- Write and recite inspirational messages. Doing this works wonders for me because I feel confident and am reassured that God loves me and only wants to perform miracles in my life. I strongly advise looking up and writing inspiring scriptures, quotes, and positive proclamations about your situation and yourself. Place your messages somewhere you will see them every day. If you read and recite your messages with confidence each morning and/or during periods of discouragement, you will begin to see so much positive change occurring within yourself, which will eventually shine through your outer-self.
- Talk to a kindred spirit. While the first four tips are great, sometimes, talking to someone helps relieve us even more because we’re able to unleash what plagues us on the inside. Try to talk to someone who has your best interest at heart and won’t judge you or make you feel badly, someone who is genuine and a kindred spirit, and someone who will encourage and uplift you.
I feel like fear creeps into our lives as if we had a welcome mat on us just inviting it in. But I strongly believe that when we are committed to and faithful to God’s word, that we will be the ones to grasp fear, and we’ll no longer be afraid to go and get what’s ours!
So, let’s talk..
Has there ever been a time when you let fear stop you from doing something? What happened?
Which of these tips do you think you’ll give a try or maybe have tried before?
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave your responses and comments below!
The Biblical Scoop
“For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you.” – Isaiah 41:13
“I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.” – Psalm 34:4
“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” – Psalm 56:3